30/06/2010

tree climbing and nettle stings


It has been years since I last climbed a tree. I couldn't even tell you when or where I last did. Which is a shame because the feeling when you manage to hook your leg over the only reachable branch and scrabble upright with moss falling in your eyes, that feeling is rather satisfying. Even at 22.


The only reason I ever realised this tree was climbable was because I went exploring today. My main motive was to get some photos of where one half of it had fallen across the cycle path. A pretty sizeable branch has split from the rest of the tree and brought down a lot of other bits of trees down with it blocking the whole path (which is impressive as the path is about two cars wide).











I've seen so many tiny rabbits about the path over the past few weeks. Totally adorable and way too fast for me to get a picture of.


"I only reported one about a half mile that way the other day. A Half mile past the foot bridge. Fell down over the path there too."

"Very dangerous if someone were to try and move it and didn't know what they were doing."

"I used to work for the Forestry Commission. I could sort that out."

"It jus' takes one windy night. You see the way they grow like that, they're weak there see. Jus' takes some wind and they split."

No comments: