25/04/2012

B + W + BESSA =

I've not shot much black+white film since leaving Uni. I don't like that I don't have control over developing it (that way, I know if something goes wrong it's my fault) and that I can't then hide away in a darkroom for a day or two and make prints. I really wish I could be using fiber based paper, I only used it in my 3rd and final year of Uni and it's just SO good.

Due to all this I have not bought any black+white film in a long time and only have a couple of stray rolls that are well past their expiry dates and have been slowly cooking in my room over the past 3 or 4 summers.

Hence the grain and contrast.....


I shot some anyway, paid the silly developing costs and just got it back.





My cousin, Kayleigh, featuring in my photos once again. We went to Winchester and had a wander around, it's a beautiful city.

  




There's this great little book shop hidden between the arches of one of the old buildings. No one there to watch it, just signs to let you know the price and a box to drop your money in. If I'd had any cash and if I wasn't trying to reduce my number of possessions, I would have bought this one. Even if I never read it.

  

We sent text messages to the sculpture to make it light up. I imagine it would be more impressive in the dark.

 








I have missed black+white a lot, it's so different to shooting digitally and then stripping the colour. I feel like I need to know BEFORE I press the shutter button rather than deciding afterwards.

I have a roll of C-41 process black+white waiting to be shot now, so expect more in the future. Hopefully with less grain and a better tonal range...

No comments: