14/03/2010

Sometimes I’m thinking about art, more specifically photography as you may guess, and I get frustrated at how difficult it is. Finding a subject you’re interested (and you hope might interest others), then an appropriate and compelling approach and then actually doing it WELL? Seems impossible sometimes.

And yet there are other times, when I’m thinking about photography, when it seems disgustingly easy and simple. That’s not to say I’ve suddenly found a subject and approach or anything I just look at images I admire or ones of my own I’m particularly proud of and they seem so easy.

Today I’m feeling very much the former.

I know what I like, I know what I’m interested in but none of it seems fresh enough. So the approach would be even more crucial and I don’t know how to find an approach that would work. If the approach isn’t something that stands out then do the images only become interesting once the world they portray has disappeared?

But perhaps I am over thinking the whole thing. Maybe I should just shoot what I want and forget about compelling approaches and technical standards.

Who gives a fuck anyway, right?

3 comments:

Andrew Bruce said...

Hi Lauren
you've gotta stay more positive... If you're in a bad place, and you're just getting frustrated with photography and the people who look at photography, you're never going to make good work... you've gotta fight it..

Lauren Eldekvist said...

Hey,
Thanks Bruce. I've gone through these cycles of joy and frustration with photography since I first picked up a camera (rather annoying). I just shoot through it these days.
Do you ever feel like that? How do you deal with it if you do?

Andrew Bruce said...

Hi Lauren
It's normal to have ups and downs when you are dealing with creativity, and it's normal to get frustrated with photography... but you've just got to channel that all into creativity and productivity...
I think Diane Arbus found taking photographs hugely painful, in the end- too painful.. but in her life she fed off the pain, aggression and feelings of alienation, and she created amazing images.
I guess i'm just someone who thinks complaining is never really a very productive way to spend time...
If it's too hard then enjoy the challenge or give up, if people don't like what you do, change it, or make them like it...